BC SoftWear Limited (Registered Company Number: 04340811) is the Data Controller responsible for, and committed to, protecting your privacy online when using this website (bcsoftwear.co.uk) in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation and Data Protection Act 2018.
What information do we collect?
We only collect, keep, use or share information that we need for genuine business purposes, when you’ve explicitly consented us to do so, or when we’re legally obliged to.
- If you set up/have an account with us: your name, date of birth, email address, billing/ delivery address, orders, and telephone numbers. Your login password is encrypted and not something we have access to. It is important that you take responsibility for protecting your account information by making sure you create a strong password, don’t share it with others, and try not to use the same one for lots of online accounts.
- When you place an order, we receive your name, e-mail address, mailing address and product details. We DO NOT receive your credit card details for online orders. Our payment provider processes these on our behalf as a Data Processor.
- Comments and product reviews. Whenever you make a purchase from us we will send you an email via our trusted partner, Feefo to provide a review of the product and service and tell us what you think. We are really keen to hear what you think about our products and use the information to inform our product development programme and constantly improve our customer service levels.
- To deliver the best possible web experience we collect anonymised information about your internet connection and browser as well as the country where your computer is located, the web pages views during your visit and search terms you may have used to access the site. You can read more detail on how we collect this anonymised data in our Cookies Policy.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels to help us to respond to your comments, questions, or feedback. We actively use social media platforms as a way of connecting and getting closer to our customers to hear and understand what our customers think about us and our products and services. The social media sites we interact with typically have their own privacy policies explaining how they use and share information. You should be sure to read these before you use them and be happy with how your personal information is treated.
How do we use your information?
Data regulations mean that we are allowed to use and share your personal information only where we have specific and proper reason to do so. As such, we use your information in a number of different ways:
- To verify your identity.
- To process any orders that you make on our website. If we don’t collect your personal data at checkout, we will be unable to process your order and comply with our legal obligations. For example, your details may need to be passed to a third party to supply or deliver the product you ordered and we may keep your details for a reasonable period afterwards to fulfil any contractual obligations such as refunds, guarantees and so on.
- To respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints. Handling the information you send enables us to respond to you. We may also keep a record of these to inform any future communication with us and to demonstrate how we communicated with you throughout. We do this on the basis of our contractual obligations to you, our legal obligations and our legitimate interests in providing you with the best service possible and understanding how we can improve our service based on your experience.
- To protect our business and your account from fraud and other illegal activities. This includes using your personal data to maintain, update and safeguard your account. We’ll also monitor your browsing activity with our website to help us to quickly identify and resolve any problems and protect the integrity of our website. We’ll do this all as part of our legitimate interest.
- To process payments and to prevent fraudulent transactions We do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests and to protect our customers from fraud.
- With your explicit consent, to send you personalised communications by email in relation to news and offers from BC SoftWear. We do this on the basis of consent. (You can opt out of our email communications at any time using the relevant links in our email newsletters or the link in your 'My Details' section within your account).
- To send you communications that are required by law or which are necessary to inform you about changes to the services we provide to you. For examples, updates to our policies, product recall notices, and legally required information relation to your orders.
- To administer any of our prize draws, competitions and promotions which you enter based on your explicit consent at the time of entering.
- For market research purposes, to better understand the needs of our customers.
- To comply with our contractual or legal obligations to share data with law enforcement.
How do we protect your personal data?
We know how much data security matters to our customers and as such we will treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
- We secure access to all transactional areas of our website using SSL and https technology.
- Access to your personal data is password protected and sensitive data such as payment card information is secured and tokenised to ensure that it is protected.
- We regularly monitor our system for possible vulnerabilities and attacks.
How long do we keep your personal data for?
We will hold on to your information for as long as you have your account or as long as it is needed to be able to provide the services to you or in the case of any contact you may have with our customer services team for as long as is necessary to provide support related reporting and trend analysis only. Any communications with us via our contact forms or email addresses are kept for no more than 3 years.
Who do we share your personal data with?
BC Softwear works with a number of trusted partners who support our business. All partners are subject to thorough security checks and will only hold the minimum amount of personal information needed to fulfil the orders you place or provide a service on our behalf.
- Payment service providers (including PayPal, SagePay and AmazonPay), order packers and delivery companies (including Royal Mail, TNT, FedEx and DPD).
- Professional service providers such as marketing agencies, advertising partners and website hosts who help us run our business.
- Credit reference agencies, law enforcement and fraud prevention agencies so we can help tackle fraud.
- Companies approved by you such as social media sites (if you choose to link your accounts to us) to show you products that might be of interest to you while you are browsing the internet. This is based on your marketing consent or your acceptance of cookies on our website. See our Cookies Policy here for more information.
These organisations are subject to the following to keep your data safe and protect your privacy:
- We only provide information to them required to fulfil a specific service.
- They may use your data only for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them.
- We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
- If we stop using their services, any of your data held by them will either be deleted or rendered anonymous.
We do not and will never share your personal data with third party companies for the purposes of them marketing their products and services to you.
What are your rights over your personal data?
You have a number of rights relating to the use of your personal information on bcsoftwear.co.uk:
- The right to be informed about how your personal information is being used by the website.
- The right to access the personal information we hold about you.
- The right to request the correction of inaccurate personal information we hold about you (although you can action most of this through your online account).
- The right to request that we delete your data, or stop processing it or collecting it, in some circumstances.
- The right to stop direct marketing messages, and to withdraw consent for other consent-based processing at any time.
- The right to request that we transfer elements of your data either to you or another service provider.
- The right to complain to your data protection regulator — in the UK, the Information Commissioner’s Office
You can find out more about these rights at www.ico.org.uk
Our site uses software to provide high level encryption technology. Please note, we will never contact you by email to ask you to send or confirm any personal details. If we need any information of this nature we will only contact you by telephone. Never send any sensitive information such as passwords or credit card information by email.
Where you have created an account and password you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share this with anyone.
Links to other websites
We will report any unlawful data breach of this website’s database or the database(s) of any of our third party data processors to any and all relevant persons and authorities within 72 hours of the breach if it is apparent that personal data stored in an identifiable manner has been stolen.
Use of children’s data
If you are under 13 years of age you MUST obtain parental consent before providing your personal details to this website including purchasing, creating an account on our website or joining our email newsletter. We do not knowingly collect personal data from children under the age of 13.
Aftab Vellani - Data Protection Officer
Tel: 01628 642940
BC SoftWear Limited
Unit 2a St. Peters Road